|Home||Preamble||Officers||Calendar||Memorial Day||Flag Day||Camerama Days||Raffles||Veterans Day||Santa Send Off||Email Us|
Did you ever wonder where the
name came from to name our post
as PIEPER-MARSH POST 194.
In November of 1919, after WWI,
The Bernard P. Pieper Post 194,
American Legion, Department of Wisconsin,
was organized in Cameron WI. The post started
with 35 members, but owing to
removals, the membership has since diminished
to about 26. Morton E. Hurlburt was elected
as the first commander of this post. The post
was named after Bernard P. Pieper, who was born
in Cameron in 1896, son of William and Ernestina
(Shultz) Pieper. During World War I, His service
record was in brief as follows; Enlisted at St. Paul
Jan 4, 1918, in the U.S.Marines; was sent to Paris
Island, S.C. ; Later sailed for France with the 144th
Company, 32nd Replacement Battalian; Landed at Brest;
Trained and received equipment at St. Aignan; saw service
at Vierzy, Soissons sector; Nance; Marabach sector holding
the front lines; Limy , the St. Mithiel drive, Toul and
Mont Blance Ridge and Champaigne sector, where he was
killed by shell fire Oct 10, 1918, during a severe barrage
which was being put over by the enemy. He is buried in
Grave 143, Cemetery 1129, near St. Etienne, France.
Moving forward 25 years, on April 4th, 1944, the 77th
Congress of the United States enacted a bill amending the
American Legion Charter to provide for membership of
honorably discharged veterans of World War II.
At this time at their regular meeting, the
post resolved to pay special tribute to an other home
boy, Lester Marsh. He was born and raised near Canton WI.
He joined the Army and attained the rank of Sgt.
He was killed in action on the
island of New Guinea on December 12th 1943.
On this day April 4th, 1944,
the official name of the Cameron Legion was changed to
Pieper-Marsh Post 194.
This post now has 68 members and continues to meet
mission of the American Legion.
Veterans Still Serving America!